Career counselors advise that mechanics with proper accreditation have higher wages and better employment prospects. According to the May 2013 report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the non-metropolitan areas of Kansas had the second highest employment of auto mechanics and technicians in the U.S. The Wichita Area Tech College (WATC) in Wichita conveniently offers the courses needed to obtain proper accreditation.
How to Get Certified in Wichita
The WATC offers a two-year degree of associate of applied science (AAS) and technician certification (TC) in Auto Service Technology. Other automotive careers at the college include Auto Collision Repair and Automotive Transmissions/Transaxle. Through distance learning, the Kansas State University has a Bachelor of Science degree in Technology Management for students who obtained the AAS degree in Automotive Technology program at the Metropolitan Community College. Generally, these graduates work in management positions as well as doing repairs and maintenance and can demand higher salaries.
Salaries for Auto Mechanic Jobs in Wichita
In the May 2013 report from the BLS, the annual mean wage for Kansas auto mechanics and technicians was about $38,740. This is slightly higher than the national average of $35,930. The bureau found that Wichita wages of $38,630 were comparable to the Kansas average. They also advise that the expected job growth rate in Kansas is lower than the estimated national rate, but the rate for the Wichita area is higher than the predicted national or state growth rate.
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
List of Auto Mechanic Programs in Kansas
Although only the Wichita Area Tech College covers the metropolitan area, other areas of the state have educational institutes that offer degrees or certifications. Contact the individual schools to learn if they offer other certifications, such as the Daimler Chrysler CAP, Ford ASSET, GM ASEP, Toyota T-TEN or others. Here are other schools in the state:
Arkansas City: Cowley County Community College
Atchison: Northeast Kansas Technical College
Beloit: North Central Kansas Technical College
Coffeyville: Coffeyville Community College
Columbus: Coffeyville C. C.-Columbus Technical Campus
El Dorado: Butler County Community College
Emporia: Flint Hills Technical College
Garden City: Garden City Community College
Goodland: Northwest Kansas Technical College
Great Bend: Barton County Community College
Kansas City: Kansas City Kansas ATS
Liberal: Southwest Kansas Technical School
Overland Park: Johnson County Community College
Pittsburg: Pittsburg State University
Pratt: Pratt Community College
Salina: Salina Area Technical School