If you are looking to become an auto mechanic in the Virginia Beach area, you will need to find accredited schools where you can receive the training you need. Across Virginia, you can find various programs at high schools, community colleges, vocational schools and community centers where you can learn skills in a number of different automotive areas. Once such school in Virginia Beach is the Advanced Technology Institute which offers certifications in several areas, including brakes, engine performance, engine repair, automatic transmission and transaxle, heating and air conditioning and more.
How to Get Certified in Virginia Beach
The school mentioned above is accredited by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) a non-profit organization that accredits programs across the nation to ensure consistent, quality training within the industry. Most schools in the state have received NATEF’s evaluation and accreditation. Once you earn a diploma or degree in automotive repair from such a program, then you can look into certification from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). A license is not required to work on cars in the state, but certification from ASE on your resume will likely increase your job opportunities. Receiving their approval indicates professionalism and shows that you are a well-trained mechanic who strives for excellence in your diagnostic and repair work.
- 70+ years of helping students start careers in Health Sciences, Business & Information Technology, Automotive, Skilled Trades, and more.
- This year, Lincoln schools around the country have made more than $15 million in scholarship funds available to qualified students.
- Designated a Military Friendly School for the 6th year in a row by Victory Media, and offers exclusive scholarship for servicemen and women and their families.
- Schools include Lincoln Tech, Lincoln Culinary Institute, and Lincoln College of New England, with 30 campuses in 15 states across the U.S.
- Automotive Technology
- Diesel Technology
- Collision Repair and Refinishing
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Salaries for Auto Mechanic Jobs in Virginia
According to 2013 numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual mean wage for automotive service technicians and mechanics in Virginia was $42,740, making it one of the better paying states in the industry. The hourly mean wage worked out to $20.55.
List of Auto Mechanic Programs in Virginia
You can find listings of programs within the state of Virginia at various websites. It’s easiest to search by state and by NATEF approval. You will find automotive classes in many different venues in a number of cities across all Virginia regions. These cities include but are not limited to Alexandria, Chesapeake, Hampton, Lynchburg, Salem, Stafford and Williamsburg, in addition to Virginia Beach.