There will always be a need for qualified and well-trained auto mechanics and service technicians. These professionals inspect, repair, diagnose and service automobiles, buses and trucks of every make and model. They’re likely to find work in garages, dealerships, service stations and companies that manufacture motor vehicles. Today’s auto mechanics typically service a vehicle’s hardware and software. Hardware consists of such things as body parts and tires. Software consists of things like electronics and on-board computers.
Several accredited auto mechanic schools in Texas include:
- Austin Community College – Both a certificate and an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Automotive Technology is awarded. Students take coursework in brake systems, automatic transmissions, steering and suspension and automotive electrical systems. Students are also required to complete courses in math, humanities and English.
- Central Texas College – Certificate programs in Automotive Technician, are offered along with Tune-up Specialist, Automotive Systems Specialist and an AAS program in Automotive technician/mechanic. Students study drive train, climate control systems, and vehicle computer systems.
- Eastfield College – The college hosts both certificate and associate degree programs for students looking to enter the field of automotive technology. Students can study to work in engine repair, electronics, or transmission servicing.
Featured Program: South Texas Vocational Technical Institute
Image Source: yellowpagecollegedirectory.com
At Universal Technical Institute (UTI), you won't just train for a career. You'll train for success. The hands-on training and high-tech skills you'll get at UTI can put you on the fast track toward a rewarding career as a professional technician. Across the nation, you'll find UTI-trained technicians working in great jobs with leading manufacturers, dealerships and repair shops.
- Collision Repair
- And more...
Get hands-on training with South Texas Vocational Technical Institute. We offer a number of diploma programs in the skilled trades and health and wellness fields at our campuses in Weslaco, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Brownsville, Texas.
- Automotive Service Technician
- Looking for an Online IT Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
How to Get Certified in Texas
A Master Mechanic certification (ASE) is preferred for individuals looking to work as auto mechanics in Texas. Work experience as either a parts specialist or service consultant and formal training from an accredited school that offers the required courses and classes.
Salaries for Auto Mechanic Jobs in Texas
Salaries for automotive mechanics and technicians in Texas ranged from $19,000 to $60,000 in 2013. An auto mechanic’s salary is based on education, experience, personal incentive and local economic conditions. The job outlook for automotive technicians and mechanics in Texas and the U.S. in general looks bright.
More Auto Mechanic Schools in Texas
|SCHOOL NAME||CITY||PHONE NUMBER||STREET ADDRESS||WEBSITE|
|Universal Technical Institute of Texas Inc||Houston||(281) 443-6262||721 Lockhaven Drive, Houston, TX 77073||www.uti.edu|
|Brookhaven College||Farmers Branch||(972) 860-4700||3939 Valley View Lane, Farmers Branch, TX 75244||www.brookhavencollege.edu|
|Cedar Valley College||Lancaster||(972) 860-8201||3030 North Dallas Avenue, Lancaster, TX 75134||www.cedarvalleycollege.edu|
|Lincoln College of Technology - Grand Prairie||Grand Prairie||972) 660-5701||2915 Alouette Drive, Grand Prairie, TX 75052||www.lincolnedu.com|
|Western Technical College||El Paso||(915) 532-3737||9451 Diana Drive, El Paso, TX 79924||www.westerntc.edu|
|Eastfield College||Mesquite||(972) 860-7100||3737 Motley Drive, Mesquite, TX 75150||www.eastfieldcollege.edu|
|San Jacinto College||Pasadena||(281) 998-6150||8060 Spencer Highway, Pasadena, TX 77505||www.sanjac.edu|
|El Paso Community College||El Paso||(915) 831-2000||919 Hunter Drive, El Paso, TX 79915||www.epcc.edu|
|Tarrant County College||Fort Worth||(817) 515-5100||1500 Houston Street, Fort Worth, TX 76102||www.tccd.edu|
|Austin Community College District||Austin||(512) 223-7000||1212 Rio Grande Street, Austin, TX 78701||www.austincc.edu|
|St Philips College||San Antonio||(210) 486-2000||1801 Martin Luther King Drive, San Antonio, TX 78203||www.alamo.edu/spc|
|South Plains College||Levelland||(806) 894-9611||1401 College Avenue, Box 5, Levelland, TX 79336||www.southplainscollege.edu|
|South Texas Vocational Technical Institute - San Antonio||San Antonio||(210) 782-8000||734 Southeast Military Drive, San Antonio, TX 78214||www.stvt.edu|
|Texas State Technical College - Waco||Waco||(800) 792-8784||3801 Campus Drive Waco, Texas 76705||www.waco.tstc.edu|
|Capitol City Trade and Technical School||Austin||(512) 444-3257||205 East Riverside Drive, Austin, TX 78704||www.4mecctt.com|