If you live in Houston, Texas and want to become an auto mechanic, going to an accredited automotive technology school is definitely a step in the right direction. Before you enroll in a program of study, though, there are a few things that you might want to know.
Most employers – across all industries – strongly favor applicants who have graduated from an accredited educational institution. Most good schools are regionally accredited, but some are recognized nationally. All regionally accredited schools in Houston should be associated with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Your program of study should also be accredited. The National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation is responsible for reviewing automotive programs in the United States.
How to Get Certified in Houston, TX
After you’ve worked in the automotive industry for one or two years, you may want to think about getting certified. The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence offers the following tests for individuals who want to earn official certificates:
- Engine Repair
- Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
- Manual Drive Train & Axles
- Suspension & Steering
- Electrical/Electronic Systems
- Heating & Air Conditioning
- Engine Performance
- Light Vehicle Diesel Engines
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- Looking for an Online IT Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
Salaries for Auto Mechanic Jobs in Houston, TX
As far as employment level goes, Houston is one of the top five metropolitan areas for mechanics. In fact, almost 10,000 individuals in the city work as automotive service technicians or mechanics. The average worker makes around $19.00 per hour. This means that most mechanics in Houston can expect to make somewhere around $40,000 per year.
List of Auto Mechanic Programs in Houston, TX
There are well over 30 post-secondary schools in Texas that offer automotive programs. If you want to stay within the city limits of Houston, however, you should plan on going to the Houston Community College. If you attend this school, you can choose to get either a certificate or an associate’s degree.
While you may be able to become an auto mechanic without a degree, going to school can make the process a lot easier. Choosing an accredited college, doing well in school and getting certified after you start your career will enable you to become a successful auto mechanic.